This is a very simple, versatile recipe, perfect for your next summer BBQ or By the Sea cookout.
The star of the show is the delicious flavour created between Talisker 10 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky and the sweet and sour vinaigrette and the charred scallops.
You could easily substitute any stone fruit you want, whatever is local, ultra ripe and in season. You could also change the scallops to any other seafood (shrimp, halibut or cod, salmon, trout, etc.).
Talisker Whisky is the perfect addition to your upcoming backyard dinner and pairs perfectly with any seafood dishes you’re preparing this summer. It’s pretty darn spectacular if I do say so myself #partner
Stone fruit vinaigrette
· 2 lbs of super juicy and fresh apricots (halved and pits removed)
· ½ cup honey
· 2 tbsp sea salt
· 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
· 1 can of soda water
· ¼ tsp chili flakes
· ¼ cup of Talisker 10 Year Old Single Malt Scotch Whisky
· Over high heat, in a medium size pot/pan/old cast iron skillet over the coals or on the BBQ/grill, gently simmer the apricots, honey, sea salt, white wine vinegar, soda and chili flakes for 12-15 minutes until the apricots have broken down completely.
· Remove from heat, add Talisker and set aside, let cool in the pan.
· This can be made ahead of time, or served right away.
· 4/5 scallops per person (season the scallops with sea salt)
· Spray or spoon over top of the scallops with just a touch of Canadian canola oil (not too much as they with flare up if there’s too much oil, you just want enough that they will not stick to the BBQ)
· Clean the BBQ well, with a wire brush or grill scraper
· Over the hot coals or on the BBQ lay/place the scallops on the grill and cook for 1 minute maximum per side. Don’t fuss with them once you lay them on the grill, leave them alone and let the grill do the work. They will flip easily once the caramelization begins and the scallops gently release from the grill. Flip them over, cook for another 30 seconds and remove immediately.
· Serve the BBQ scallops and the whisky stone fruit vinaigrette together with a salad and some great bread.