Roasted Squash & Pumpkin Pie Filling
Makes enough filling for 1 x 8” pie
This recipe is really versatile and works with a variety of squash. If using canned purée, opt for brands without sugar added (look for the word ‘purée’ on the label). Canned purée can be substituted for the roasted squash in this recipe. Use with your favorite pie dough, or simply bake on its own as a spiced pumpkin custard. Pairs really nicely with vanilla ice cream or a simple whipped cream.
160gm roasted squash, skin and seeds removed (optional)
160gm pumpkin purée
380gm Whipping cream
121gm (6 each) egg yolks
114gm organic sugar
- Roast the squash or pumpkin: cut each squash into quarters. Remove the seeds and pulp and rub with canola or sunflower oil. Place in a preheated oven at 350F and roast for 30-40 minutes, until soft. Remove from the heat and cool. Once cooled, peel off the skin. Place the squash in a food processor and blend until smooth. Place extra puree in the freezer for soup 😉
- Next, combine the eggs and sugar and whisk well.
- Add the pumpkin and squash purées and spices and mix well.
- Lastly, add the cream. Mix well using a whisk. For added smoothness, blend the mixture with a hand blender (optional).
- Pour into prepared pie shells or a shallow baking dish and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes, or until the center no longer wobbles (the center should be ‘just’ firm). Remove from the oven and cool at room temperature, then chill for 2-4 hours to ‘set’ the pie.